Today I share a family recipe very close to my heart (and also a favourite of the Fit Best owner, Renché!)
With a plentiful harvest of fresh tomatoes and basil from my kitchen garden I couldn't think of a better Friday night dinner than FEAST Spaghetti Bolognaise. It is so important that we enjoy balanced family meals around the table in order to ditch the diet culture! With all our FEAST recipes we focus on quality over quantity - use the best quality fresh ingredients and prepare it well. This will ensure that your kids will grow up with a healthy relationship to food - I can't emphasize how important this is!
• 15ml Olive Oil
• 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
• 1 Large Brown Onion, Finely
• 1kg Beef Mince
• 125ml Pinot Noir Red Wine
• 1 x 25g Liquid Beef Stock
• 2 x 400g Whole Peeled
• 30ml Tomato Paste
• 10ml Brown Sugar
• 10ml Worcestershire Sauce
• 2 Dried Bay Leaves
• 5ml Dried Thyme
• Salt & Pepper to Taste
• 400g Whole Wheat Spaghetti
• Parmesan Cheese to Serve
1. Cook spaghetti according to instructions on package.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic
and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown and translucent.
3. Turn the heat up to high and add beef. Cook while you loosen
with a fork until browned.
4. Add red wine and simmer for 2 minutes or until the alcohol
smell is gone.
5. Add all the other ingredients (except for spaghetti and
parmesan). Turn heat down to medium and cook for 20 minutes
without a lid and 30 minutes with a lid. Add water if the sauce
thickens more than to your taste. Stir occasionally.
6. Serve mince with cooked spaghetti and garnish with parmesan
and fresh basil.